• 16-11-30 04:22

SPR Reading Psalm 131

1. My heart is not proud, O Lord,

my eyes are not haughty;

I do not concern myself with great matters

or things too wonderful for me.

2. But I have stilled and quieted my soul;

like a weaned child with its mother,

like a weaned child is my soul within me.

3. O Israel, put your hope in the Lord

both now and forevermore.

Verse 1 is S, signified by "not" three times: 1. my heart is "not" proud, 2. my eyes are "not" haughty, 3. and I do "not" concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me.

Both P and R are found in verse 2. The P and R are so interconnected that it may not possible to separate them. "My soul" is in the rest, placed in the rest "like" a weaned child with its mother.

Verse 3 is the claim for Israel to put their hope in the Lord. The reason is the very SPR stated in verses 1 and 2. The warrant is implied: YHWH, not me, is the Creator; YHWH, not me, is the Savior. The warrant provides the secret of the modesty found in verse 1, the Separation here.

Psalm 131 is one of the Ascents, written by David. When David was this humble? It must be the beginning of the rule, before the sin of adultery. Or, it may be the times of the restoration, after writing Psalm 51.

It is YHWH, the Creator and the Savior, who makes us humble by separating us from the sins (S) so that we may stand where he places (P), where we worship him in the rest (R).

If we find a missionary family going to the mission site far away, leaving all the socio-cultural and personal ease, a possible clue we may find in reading Psalms 131. Any faithful Christians we live together with, not looking for wealth or honor, is found in the spirituality of SPR, living by the Word of God, like Psalm 131.

댓글목록